Camp Get-A-Way is a place where you and your kids can play, connect, create, and bond in the great outdoors. Try new things like archery, swimming, fishing, and canoeing as a family. Share laughter and s’mores by the campfire. Create memories over tie-dye fun, camp crafts, and games. Find hope through the family resources and training. And start lasting friendships with other New York families facing similar challenges.
Camp Get-A-Way has two 2021 sessions:
- Summer: August 23-26, 2021
- Fall: September 24-26, 2021
Summer Session will be held at 4-H Camp Bristol Hills. This 120 acre camp is located just 30 miles south of Rochester, in the Bristol Hills region of the Finger Lakes. This beautiful camp has fields and meadows for playing, a fishing pond, hiking trails, cozy cabins, a swimming pool, a ropes course, and much more.
4-H Camp Bristol Hills
4437 Kear Road
Canadaigua, NY 14424
Fall Session will be held at 4-H Camp Shankitunk. This camp is located in Delhi, in the Catskill Mountains. This beautiful camp has fields and meadows for playing, a fishing pond, hiking trails, cozy cabins, and much more.
4-H Camp Shankitunk
2420 Arbor Hill Road
Delhi, NY 13753
registering for camp
To register for Camp Get-A-Way, fill out our online registration form and mail your check or money order to Camp Get-A-Way—77 Commerce Dr, Ste 7, Rochester, NY 14623. Applications will NOT be processed until the family application fee has been received.
Due to a Pandemic Scholarship, familes only need to pay $50.00 to attend a session in 2021. If a family does not show up or leaves before the session ends without making prior arrangements, they will be billed the full amount.
Typically, camp costs:
- $420.00 per family before August 1, 2021 + $50.00 non-refundable application fee
- $520.00 per family after August 1, 2021 + $50.00 non-refundable application fee
- There is an additional $50.00 per person for families with more than 5 people.
- All camp fees must be paid in advance and are due by August 1, 2021 for Summer Session and September 15, 2021 for Fall Session.
Families are encouraged to explore the possibility of utilizing service provider money to offset the cost of camp. Contact Tomicka Madison if you’d like to make payment arrangements.
Camp is scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. Space is limited. A complete list of eligibility criteria is available by contacting Camp Get-A-Way.
Camp Get-A-Way is not responsible for providing items that you forgot to bring.
WHAT YOU SHOULD PACK:
- Bedding for each family member – Pack pillows, pillow cases, sheets/blankets/sleeping bag for a twin size bed for each member of the family.
- Clothes – Bring several changes of clothing because there are no laundry services at Camp Get-A-Way.
- Lots of socks and underwear
- Jackets, sweatshirts, socks, and warm shoes – It’s cold and wet in the early mornings and evenings at camp.
- Raincoat, poncho, and/or umbrella – Come prepared for any type of weather!
- Sandals, flip-flops, etc. Closed-toe shoes – sneakers or boots
- Hygiene products
- Shampoo, soap, towels, and shower shoes – Shower caddies are super helpful.
- Towels and swimsuit – swim trunks, 1-piece swimsuit or a 2-piece swimsuit with a t-shirt
- Extra Ziploc bags (for wet things, gross things, and special treasures)
- Laundry bag
- Backpack for carrying stuff during camp
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Sunscreen (and aloe for missed spots)
- Sunglasses and/or baseball cap
- Insect repellant
- Reusable water bottle
- Phone Charger
- Extension Cords
- Alarm clock, fans, and night lights – we encourage you to label all electronic equipment and items of value.
- For babies and toddlers – portable cribs or pack n’ plays, diapers, baby food/formula and any extra “baby items” you would use at home.
- Fishing poles
- Life jackets if needed
THINGS YOU SHOULD LEAVE AT HOME:
- Anything (clothes, CD’s, video games, etc.) depicting violence, drugs, vulgarities, or anything of a sexual nature.
- Valuable items – Camp Get-A-Way is not responsible for lost or stolen belongings.
- Large sums of cash – there are limited opportunities to spend money at camp and Camp Get-A-Way is not responsible for any valuables that are lost or stolen.
Our staff and volunteers go through a special training before Camp Get-A-Way. The majority of them also work for the New York Office of Mental Health Programs or New York Family Support Programs. Our camp is driven by Family Support Program principles.
There is a certified lifeguard present during all water activities. If a lifeguard is not present, families are not permitted to play in or near the water.
Our amazing nursing team is always present and available 24 hours a day. The camp is also connected to Wyoming County Emergency Services.
There is a Pandemic Scholarship for 2021 Sessions.
Typically, to qualify for scholarships, the following criteria need to apply:
- A family must be connected to and actively participating in a Community Based Family Support Program.
- A family cannot be connected to or be receiving services through Community Based services, long term care facility, foster care or any other services that has flex or transitional dollar attached to them.
- This must be a family's first time attending camp and only one scholarship per family.
- The family must complete an application in its entirety and submit all requirements before attending camp.
- The manager or director will sign off on the provider’s statement of the application.
- The manager or director will write across the top of the application that the family is seeking a scholarship.
- The application will be mailed or faxed along with sending the application fee of $50.00 to attention of Tomicka Madison for approval.
- It is an expectation of Camp Get-A-Way that all families pay the $50.00 application fee themselves as their investment in attending camp.
- It is the responsibility of the Community Based Family Support Program to ensure that the above guidelines are followed.
For security, medications may not be kept in family cabins. No exceptions. All medications will be kept locked in the nurse’s cabin. Medications will be returned to the parent/guardian at check out. Parents/guardians are responsible to remember medications and give family members medication at the appropriate time.
All medications MUST BE IN THEIR ORIGINAL CONTAINERS (prescription and over the counter, with certain exceptions).
YES! For everyone’s safety, we require children to always be supervised by their parents/guardians. Children are the sole responsibility of their parents/guardians at all times. Parents/guardians must know where their children are at all times.Children 15 years old and younger must have direct adult supervision at all times.
Children 16 years old and older must be in direct visual contact with an adult at all times.
Parents/guardians are responsible for any damage or destruction caused while at camp.
At Camp Get-A-Way, there’s always plenty to eat, fun activities, time to explore, and opportunities to relax as a family. You and your family may participate in as many or few activities as you’d like.
Here are some of the activities we offer during Camp Get-A-Way:
- Arts and crafts
- Rope courses
- Paddle boating
Each evening, we have family activities which we require all families to participate in. It changes each year, but we love to do camp movie nights, bingo, dance parties, and campfires.
Cell service isn’t always the greatest, but that’s okay, because there’s a ton to do.
During the morning and evening parent coffee hour, we offer resources, encouragement, and training for parents. These sessions focus on sharing practical skills to help you care for your children struggling with an emotional, behavioral, or mental illness as well as your family as a whole on a daily basis.
Weather in the great outdoors can change quickly; therefore, we recommend you pack layers. It is cool at night so bring some warm clothing like sweatshirts, socks, hats, or jackets. Since it sometimes rains, we encourage you to bring umbrellas, raincoats, and shoes you can get muddy.
Closed-toe shoes are required for some activities so don’t forget to pack them.
Maybe we’re a little biased, but we think the food at Camp Get-A-Way is delicious! Expect family-friendly favorites like pancakes and bacon, pasta, salad, tacos, sandwiches, and eggs.
When you submit your application, please note any and all food allergies and diet restrictions. If you do not submit these ahead of time, we will seek to do our best to accommodate them during camp, but please expect options to be limited.
Each family stays in their own cabin during Camp Get-A-Way. Cabins are rustic and have electric outlets and lights for Summer Session, but not for Fall Session. Cabins have screen windows with wooden shutters, screen doors, and a wooden exterior door. We recommend bringing extension cords for Summer Session. If you have back problems, bring a back board.
Cabins do not have refrigerators or running water. All meals and snacks are served in the dining hall. Because we are in the great outdoors, we ask that if you bring snacks for your family, you leave them in your car rather than your cabin.
There are showers and bathrooms for males and females located conveniently near the cabins.
Smoking is allowed only in designated area(s) of camp. Anyone smoking in non-designated areas will be asked to leave Camp Get-A-Way. There is absolutely NO smoking in or around the cabins. Children are not allowed in the smoking shelter.
No, there are no laundry services available at Camp Get-A-Way.
Camp Get-A-Way quiet hours are 10:00pm – 7:30am.
While we love animals, the only pets allowed at Camp Get-A-Way are pet rocks. All other pets must be left at home.
Yes; however, you must sign out first at the nurse’s station and then sign back in when you return.
Camp Get-A-Way has developed the following basic list of expectations to ensure a safe, healthy, and fun camping experience for everyone. During the first night of camp, we will review these and the other rules.
- No possession or consumption of illegal drugs, or being under the influence of illegal drugs is allowed in camp.
- No alcohol, alcohol consumption, or being under the influence of alcohol is allowed while at camp.
- No weapons are allowed in camp.
- No stealing.
- No physical or verbal aggression towards others.
Any violation of these or other camp rules may result in a family’s dismissal from Camp Get-A-Way. All concerns will be reviewed by the Board. All decisions are final.